Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rome and Assissi

Hello pernernernums.  Shaking the flu slowly and soldiering on.  For those who have been to Assissi and Positano...........shit ya gotta love steps and up and down walking.  Arrived a 1000hrs and my room wasn't ready so dumped the big bag and set off.  Went to highest point of the mountain then to the top of a turret of Castle Magiorre.  May I say the 150mt walk through the tunnel to get there, on top of the very skinny sprial starcases, were a challenge.  I was surprised how fit I was even with the flu.  But what a view.  I gripped the flag pole like a little boy grips his pecker when he gets into trouble, and did a 360 with the camera on movie mode.  Can't send you that cos this computer has no card reader.  rome day 2 and Assissi added up to 120 photos.  Did a couple of other cathedrals.  As I narrated in the 360, if I did a Hail Mary and an Our Father at every church here I'd be staying for about 12 months.  Said a few for everyone, got my hotel room after lunch on the steps of the town square then headed to St. Francis of Assissi Basillica and crypt.  Very impressive.  Never seen so many nuns and monks, and priests.  Only saw 2 beggers so I guess all the others had been 'saved.'  Not like Rome.  Absolutely majestic but as you would guess - no photos allowed in most places.  Went to the crypt and cathedral of St. Clare and Saint Torrino as well.  Went for an late arvo stroll around town looking for a beer and ended up in the bowels of some excuse for a shopping centre.  So imagine the 5 million steps had to then climb back up so I dersered that beer then.  In the main Piazza there was a junior local band playing old italian folk music so I kicked back with a pint and enjoyed the music, view and the beer.  Had a lovely lasagne and salad with half a litre of red to wash it down with a view over Umbria.  Beautiful.  Heading off on the train to Venice tomorrow so chat then and hopefully get some final snaps on this blog thing.  Love to all.  Lucas

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lucas...glad you're shaking the flu & soldiering on!!! What a little trooper you are!! We're going to Assisi next month but hadn't realised there were sooo many steps...best get out & do some more training.!! Enjoy your last few days...& I'm sure I can feel the benefits of all those Hail Marys & Our Fathers you've said for us....stay safe...much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you went to Umbria. It's a lot prettier than Tuscany, even though Tuscany is lovely in a different way. The Amalfi Coast has been quite an experience, but I think you either love or hate it! Getting out and about in Rome is so worth it, sick and all. Very interesting history, right there in your face.
    Bring on Venezia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you might just get a chance to talk to some water police in Venezia...loving the stories, makes me have a laugh before starting work for the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauline, I and the kids went to mass at St Clare when we were in Assissi and it was amazing, it's one of my fave memories and reading your blogs is bringing back some awesome memories Lucas! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had a busy few days and now catching up...great stories and I'm remembering places I went many years ago. Enjoy Venice and keen for more stories once you're home. love mar-mary

    ReplyDelete